Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Trying Something New

Retirement has provided opportunities to do things that during my work career, I had little interest in, i.e. reading, and cooking.  Since retiring six years ago, I've lost count, the number of books I've read and the attempts at preparing a cooked meal from scratch.  Most of those attempts have been OK at best.

In terms of my new interest in reading, the need to learn more about my heritage was reason enough to begin the process of research.  After reading scores of historical documents on line, and in libraries, ten generations are now documented..


My research focused on two family members and the chapter in each of their lives that would be most interesting historically to both current and future generations.  The task was to document their journey. One who fought in and survived numerous battles in the civil war.  The other not only survived the long journey from his homeland (Germany), he survived the fierce fighting in the second battle of Trenton, during the War of Independence.  Months later, as a POW, he was forced to make a quick and painful decision.

My great-grandfather (father's side) was a member of the 76th Pennsylvania Infantry Regiment, Keystone Zouaves, in the Civil War.  Men in Zouave units were respected for being the best sharpshooters and scouts in battle.

My research began with my great-grandfather's journey to Fort Sumter and subsequent battles in and around Charleston Harbor.  He would go on to fight at Secessionville, Fort Wagner, Cold Harbor, Petersburg, Deep Bottom, Chapin Farm, and Fair Oaks.  His final engagement would be in the bloody fight to take Fort Fisher.

When I am in a book store or library, I find myself scanning the shelves for a book on a battle I have yet to read.  It has taken years to find the pieces, fit them together in sequence, and show how my great-grandfather's journey fit into the larger picture...that of the Civil War.

In this process, it's been an education to also learn about the lives of Generals' Grant and Lee.  Plus I have been drawn to books describing how president Lincoln dealt with both the victories and the horrors of war.

Books about the Revolutionary War and the circumstances which led to the signing of the  Declaration of Independence, have been both compelling and educational.  Reading accounts of the turmoil our forefathers experienced while forming a government free from British domination, has been in many ways, like taking a multi-year course in american history. 

I've read books about Washington, Jefferson, Monroe, Adams, and Hamilton in this process.  The battles these men fought with their peers, and the ridicule they endured from their political adversaries, was unlike any politicians have experienced since.  These brave men were on the cutting edge every step of the way.  It is incredible to consider what they accomplished while walking a thin line in terms of doing the right thing for the country.  More than two and a half centuries later, democracy is alive and well...if you exclude the political games being played in Washington. 

My great, great, great, grandfather (mother's side) was a Hessian soldier, from Neiderbeisheim, Germany, who was paid by the British to sail to America to fight General Washington and his rag tag volunteer army.  After Washington's...now famous...crossing of the Delaware River, his troops marched on to Trenton.  There, after two hard fought battles, my fore father was captured by American soldiers, and became a POW.  Upon release, we was given the choice to return to Germany, or remain in America, take the oath of allegiance, and become a citizen.  He decided to become a citizen.

Politics is complicated yet exciting to read about.  In the past few months, I have found books about Jack and Robert Kennedy compelling.  Currently, I am reading Bill Clinton, My Life.

Like reading, cooking has never been something that interested me much.  Although I was the Mess Steward for two years in the Army...decades ago. 

About a week ago, I surprised myself.  While checking the pantry and refrigerator for ideas of what I could prepare for dinner, I was left with no clue.

On my way through the house, I spotted a basket of magazines.  A closer look at the cover of the  magazine on top indicated 3-Ingredient Recipes, Fast, Fresh, Delicious.  It was the July 2011 edition of  Real Simple.

What happened next was a first for me.  I not only took the top magazine on the pile.  I grabbed five issues of the monthly publication.  The magazine covers topics like food, fashion, art, beauty and health, (the) home, and money.

After paging through three issues, I had all three lying on the floor beside me, each open to an article or topic I wanted to learn more about.

Starting with the February, 2013 edition, I read the article describing easy week night meals, and stopped after seeing a delicious  looking image of herb roasted chicken breast with zucchini squash and halved baby red potatoes...I knew we had chicken in the freezer, plus zucchini and red potatoes on the counter.  Now I had a plan.

By mid-afternoon, I was well into preparing what would become a successful meal for two.  When my wife walked through the door, she took a deep breath.  "It smells good in here," she said.  After taking a peek in the oven, she had a few questions and after I explained what I hoped to have prepared, she added a few tips for my next attempt.
If I pulled off an acceptable main dish, could I finish with a touchdown-size dessert?  Yes, I found it in the July, 2011 edition.  The article about 3-Ingredient recipes caught my eye. The image of a delicious-looking blackberry granola crisp was my choice.  Why, because we had blackberries in the frig and granola in the pantry.

The methods or sequence I used to put both dishes together may not have been exactly how my wife would have done it.  Bottom line, she loved both dinner and desert.

So guys, when in doubt about your ability to try something new, forget about any thoughts telling you, don't even try.  Go for it.  Take time to do the research, put a plan together.  You may find a hidden talent you never thought possible.

The exercise of selecting the ingredients, setting a time frame to complete the task, working the plan, and reaping the benefits was well worth taking the risk of doing something I had no clue that it would work.

Stay tuned for the article about diet and exercise.
 

1 comment:

  1. My husband was diagnosed with early onset Parkinson's disease at 57.his symptoms were shuffling of feet,slurred speech, low volume speech, degradation of hand writing, horrible driving skills, right arm held at 45 degree angle, things were tough for me, but now he finally free from the disease with the help of total cure ultimate health home, he now walks properly and all symptoms has reversed, he had trouble with balance especially at night, getting into the shower and exiting it is difficult,getting into bed is also another thing he finds impossible.we had to find a better solution for his condition which has really helped him a lot,the biggest helped we had was ultimatehealthhome they walked us through the proper steps,am highly recommended this ultimatehealthhome@gmail.com to anyone who needs help.

    ReplyDelete