Friday, August 26, 2011

OH! OH! Moment #1


The first “100 Mile Challenge” hike had one of those moments when you realize you forgot to pack something you need.  As your eyes close, a bit embarrassed, you say, “OH! OH!"

I was on trail to Boulder Lake, anxious to have lunch.  A handful of miles on the day already behind me.  In need of hydration, and hungry, I began looking for a flat rock to sit on and a clear spot for my stove.

The shaded area at a bend in trail would be fine.  Minutes later, water was boiling.  Drop in the freeze dried chicken breast then powdered mashed taters.

OK, utensils?  A quick check in my pack…OH! OH!, I forgot the freakin utensils.  As I look for anything within arms length that would serve as a scoop, I spot a 6” piece of tree bark.  After peeling away two layers of growth, what remained was shaped like a long mini scoop.  It would be the tool I needed to stir mashed taters until they are firm.  It would also serve as my fork (less the prongs) to stabilize the chicken breast as I cut it with my pocket knife.

Chicken breast and taters in the backcountry, Yummmy!

Tell me about your OH! OH! Moment.  I'm sure there are plenty out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment