Monday, August 29, 2011

Back to Burning Bear.

My wife and me had a day to enjoy the outdoors together so it was a no-brainer.  We would go to "The Bear" again.  Two weeks ago, I hiked it with my friends from ACAA.  My wife had not hiked there before. Plus with temperatures forcast in the high 90's for the city,  Burning Bear seemed to be the place to be today.  We parked at the TH among a small herd of black angus cattle.  Yes, I said cattle.  Most of them were lying in the tall grass, chewing their cud as we changed into boots and extended our poles.  We did some skipping and hopping in order to miss all the cow pies.  A first for me and I'm a farm boy.

We had 80 to 90% canopy which helped reduce the temperature even more.  Temp. may have reached the upper 60's by mid-morning.  The ground was soggy, and trail in many sections muddy with more super fresh cow pies.  A mile plus up trail, we came upon the rest of the herd.  Yep, bedded down in a stand of spruce.  Yep chewing their cud.  Nope, they could not have cared less that two hikers were walking down the middle of their cozy outdoor pad.   

No comments:

Post a Comment