Tuesday, September 27, 2011

CO. Trail at Kenosha Pass


Beautiful landscape, idyllic, quintessential, awesome, near perfect, and heavenly, are some of the terms used today by people trying their best to describe Aspen at their shimmering transformation to golden yellow.  After a number of weeks of heart thumping climbs and high altitude beauty, we were due an easy day hike.
Aspen, draped in their finest gold, line our path.
Only 2.6 miles South of the Kenosha Pass Campground parking lot, we found a spot to not only have lunch but one to convene with nature and all it’s natural beauty. 
The Spot!
 Hike leader, Ed, suggested each find a spot they like and enjoy it.  From what the author saw, everyone took his suggestion to heart.  The usual clusters of two and three people chatting over lunch, was replaced with most hikers finding that “Spot” where they could: Scan the never ending horizon, watch a crow or hawk gliding overhead, marvel at the magnificent contrast of Aspen gold against the various tints of green pine and spruce, or just rest ones head on their pack, pull the hat down over the face, and listen to “The Sounds of Silence.”
A lazy day in the sun.
 Normally, I reserve time at the end of the day for a J.E.  Today, was different.  While my stove was making hot water for lunch, my pen wrote:  When asked, “Why do you hike?” the man answered, (gesturing with one hand extended to the horizon in the distance) “I will allow nature to answer for me.”  
One hiker said it this way.  "When I am able to get the feeling that I'm part of nature, instead of just passing through it, I reach an inner calm."
My remaining time at this “Spot” was spent watching shadows, created by the sun and clouds, dart across the landscape.  It was a common pastime in my youth.  The pace of our world today is faster than any former generation.  We must be reminded, “It’s all about the Journey” of life.  Take time to enjoy it.      

No comments:

Post a Comment