Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Source of 1,001 Tips...and More

The first edition of Backpacker magazine was purchased from a Gander Mountain Outfitter store in Harrisburg, PA.  That was August, 2000, and at the time I was well into backpacking.  My passion for the outdoors was at an all time high.  I would soon finish section hiking the Appalachian Trail (A.T.) across Pennsylvania, before tackling the rest of the long east coast trail.
First edition purchased in August 2,000.



That August 30th, I made the one hour drive south to Waynesboro, PA., where the A.T. crosses Penn Mar Road.  The plan was to complete another section of the famed 2,172-mile long trail.  Over a decade later now, I thought back on those days.  Next I decided to take a look at my trail journal of that year to rekindle the experiences.

Journal Entry:  August 30, 2,000. Weather is awful.  It rained last night and this morning it's thick fog.  The pack went on and I headed north on the A.T.  Mary Lou Reed, who I've known and worked with for many years, agreed to pick up my truck after work tonight and drive it in to Waynesboro to her house.  I would be back for it later.

Trail started with moderate climbs and descents.  About 1.5 miles out, I crossed a small stream.  Beyond was a steep climb with lots of rocks.  It took 2 hrs. to walk less than 3 miles.  The legs were fine but my breathing required a number of rest stops along the climb. 

Stopped at a log for an apple and some gorp.  Soon after, loud voices were heard and around the corner of the trail came about 15 pre-teens with their advisors.  Obviously a day hike for some city kids.

Later in the a.m., I met a woman walking with her poodle.  She was out for a day hike to Pen Mar Park. 

I notice the leaves are starting to turn.  Some red, others brown, still others yellow and orange.  This part of PA., will be a rainbow of colors come October.

Just after passing a small clearing and a power line, I met a man hiking south.  Trail name, 'Pilgrim Jack.'  He is using one red and one white walking stick.  Sporting a salt-n-pepper full beard, he looks to be in his late 40's and in great shape.  He plans to make Pen Mar Park tonight to camp.

Take breaks, consume plenty of water at Deer Lick, and Antietam shelters.  Deer Lick has 2 shelters, Antietam only one.  Antietam is by a stream, a beautiful spot now that the sun begins to peak through the clouds.

Tumbling Run Shelters, also 2 structures, are next.  Take a 2-minute break because directly behind the shelters the trail has a steep climb for about 1/4 mile.  When I get to the top of Rocky Mountain, both thigh muscles are close to shutting down.  A log juts out and I take advantage for another 10 minutes.  
 
Capturing a shot, Loyalsock Creek, and trail, Penna.

Pass a sign "Caledonia State Park" 11 mi.  The question is can I make it (before sundown).  If I did, it would be a 17.9 mile day, (a new one day record).  But Rocky Mountain shelters are at 14.9 mi., so I may bunk there tonight.

The shelters are only .3 mi. off trail and down a moderate slope of the mountain.  As I arrive, a man is sitting at one shelter reading the shelters log book.  His trail name is "Freefall" from Fort Wayne, Indiana.  He began at Mt. Katadin, Maine and is going the entire distance to Springer Mountain, Georgia.

While preparing dinner in the shelter, "Freefall" tells me his sister lives in Littleton, Colorado.  That started a long conversation.  Next time he visits, he will listen to KBPI, the station that Rocks the Rockies and maybe call in to talk to my son-in-law, D-Mac.

We were both tired but enjoyed each others company as we talked about past trail experiences.  He just passed through Boiling Springs and was in the convenience store there, getting supplies.  He met Earl Shaffer, famous among those of us in the thru hiking community.

"Freefall" and Earl had a conversation and it ended with Shaffer excusing himself while "Freefall" waited for him to return.  When he did, Shaffer gave "Freefall" a large tomato from his garden.  The story had me thinking that tomato linked me to a part of history on this trail.  Freefall was generous offering me half of the tomato to have with my dinner.  It was awesome.

 About Earl Shaffer: In 1948, he began in Georgia with worn boots, his Army rucksack slung across his shoulders, and no stove or tent, and hiked north, reaching Mt. Katahdin, Maine in 124 days.  He published his memoir of the experience in "Walking with Spring."  Again, 17 years later, in 1965,  Shaffer hiked the trail in 99 days, from north to south, making him the first person to complete the trail in both directions.  In 1998, he made another northward thru-hike, at age 79, this time in 174 days to celebrate the 50th anniversary of his first thru-hike.  Earl Shaffer died of liver cancer, May 5, 2002.


Back to the Journal Entry:

A dark cloud came over so "Freefall" and I bedded down for the evening.  It was only 8:45, almost dark.  The Cicadas constant screeching kept me from sleeping till long after midnight.

Completed 14.9 miles today. 

Thursday, August 31, 2000
(Kim's 30th birthday)

Up at 7, have cereal (cheerios), granola and fruit.  Strap down the pack and put on the new breathable, waterproof pants I got from Campmor.  Pack rain cover is a must today.  The sky is solid clouds, with fog too.

"Freefall" and I walk the .3 miles back to the AT, shake hands, wish each other well, and head in opposite directions.

Within 2 miles, I am wet with perspiration, so off come the pants atop Rocky Mountain.

By 10 a.m., I'm at Caledonia State Park and decide to lay over, dry off, wash up, and refill my camel and 2 Nalgene bottles from the public water supply.  A cup of hot cocoa was the best with dried fruit.
 
First trail camera, Panasonic, Lumix DMC-FZ7, A.T. Penna.

Head out at noon, still raining.  Within an hour, I'm dripping wet in my last tee.  No more cotton after this hike.  It's Capaline wear from now on.

A steep climb north of Caledonia took over 30 minutes.  Stop at Quarry Gap Shelters for a snack.  On to Milesburg Cabin, another 6.7 miles.  It belongs to PATC (Potomac Appalachian Trail Club), so its locked.  I rest on the dry porch and have a huge apple, dried fruit and water.

Still raining, fine mist and some wind.  It's 2.3 more miles to Birch Run Shelters, where I will spend the night.

Finally about 3:30, the skies broke and a few rays of sun came through.  Saw a large turtle today.  About two fists across its shell.  Closer to Birch Run, I came close to a young fawn that wandered out on trail ahead of its mother.  It pointed straight for me till it picked up my awful scent then bolted over a log and into the thick mountain laurel.

Arrive at Birch Run, before 6 p.m.  There are voices coming from one shelter.  As I walk up saying, "Knock, Knock, it's Cherokee" I see 2 guys from Long Island, New York.

Mike senior and son Mike junior are doing a section of the A.T. together.  They started at Harpers Ferry, West Virginia, and will end at Pine Grove S.P. as well tomorrow.
 
At Cove Mountain shelter, Duncannon, PA.

All their wet clothes and gear is hanging around the shelter.  Glad I have dry socks for tomorrow.  I changed into dry undies and shorts for bed...feels good.

The Cicadas are singing loud and clear but there is a bit of a clearing around these shelters so they are maybe 30 yds. off in the underbrush.

It's 8 p.m., almost dark.  I'll take a rest then call JoAnn.  I hope Kim called her tonight, it's her 30th birthday.  If no call, it means Darren did something special for her.  I love them both and Connor very much.  

Talking to the two Mikes' tonight who have been hiking together since Jr. was 8.  He is now 25.  I can't wait till Connor is old enough to go out with me.

Today, I also met Jarrod heading south to Springer Mountain.  I had covered myself and pack with my poncho 3 times since leaving Rocky Mountain.  Now in a moderate rain, again the wind was blowing the poncho off my pack.  

So here comes Jarrod, with two Leki walking poles.  I asked if he would flip my poncho which he gladly did.  My guess he is a guy in his late 20's.  I bid him "safe travel" as we go our separate ways.
 
Manassas Gap shelter, A.T., Virginia, SNP.

Within 2 miles, I came to where a dirt state forest and game land road crosses the AT.  There in the rain stands a young man in the process of shouldering his pack.  He had just placed the pack cover on.  His name "Porkchop" and by the looks of his side burns, they do resemble 2 chops, hairy ones at that.

While descending a ridge just north of Shippensburg Road, I noticed a large ant hill to the right of trail.  It was very wet of course but stood approximately 12" high and about 4' across.  The entire Ant community was deep in its mound, hopefully dry.  Certainly drier than I am right now.

The walk from Birch Run to Tom's Run shelters is 6.2 miles.  I left Birch Run at 8:30 and arrived here at 11:30.  Coming in, I passed "Dave", also alone, heading south to Springer Mtn.  He was shirtless, an idea I had this morning but my pack straps need more cushioning before I try that.

The A.T. crosses Tom's Run twice before the shelters.  Both are in a picturesque setting.  The only sound is the rush of water over rocks in the nearby stream and a crow cawing in the clouds overhead.  The second crossing had no bridge so I stopped in mid-stream to wash my sweaty hands.  There is adequate water is in my camel to get me to Pine Grove.

Toms Run is not as nice as Birch Run.  Two log shelters and two picnic tables.  Fire pits are of brick although loose, they do keep a fire hot.

The sun is peeking through the clouds.  It's almost noon and I'm hungry.  From Tom's Run to Pine Grove, it was a breeze compared to Wednesday's climb.  Only met two women, Jennifer and Holly who were packing it to Virginia. 

Now the skies are beginning to clear.  That, plus humidity, what more could I ask for.  I'll take hot vs rain.

Stroll into Pine Grove Furnace State Park, General Store at 1:30.  Made better time than expected.  Two hot dogs, a coke, chased down with a large scoop of Moose tracks (Hershey's) ice cream for lunch.  

JoAnn will be here in a few hours to pick me up.  I spot a shady area at the end of the long porch and drop my pack.  I felt a feeling of renewed strength, and accomplishment as I leaned back on my pack and closed my eyes.

Did 13.1 miles today.
 
Total trip miles =  28.0  

Return to Article:

Although I had been hiking/backpacking for years, Backpacker magazine provided a fresh in depth look at the many elements of the sport of hiking.

That first issue alone had stories on light weight stoves, an analysis of field-tested boots, tips on what to consider when purchasing gear, and how to become a better hiker.  There was a "How to" column explaining how to avoid getting toasted in a forest fire, and uses for a carabiner.  A feature about "Wild Things" like an electrical storm and how to remain safe in the midst of one.

Other topics included; tips on how to thru-hike the 2,172 mile A.T. on $1.00 to $1.50/mile, know how to sweat, versatile and tasty trail food with recipes, tips on making a trek up grade easier, suggestions for those who live in the city on where they can hike close to home.  The column on outfitting provided information on tents, filtering water and sleeping tips.
First subscription edition, October, 2,000.

By October, two months later, I had a subscription to the magazine.  I would read every issue cover to cover within a day or two after receiving it.  Over the following 13 years, there are countless tips, dozes of articles on field tested gear, suggestions where to buy trail food, little known trails to explore, new trails being built, comparison charts on everything from tents to socks, to bags, to animal tracks, and snowshoes.

Each spring, I looked forward to a special edition of the magazine called the annual Gear Guide.  It arrived in my mailbox every April, in time for the hiking season.  The wealth of information received from those issues alone has made me a better informed and buyer savy hiker than I could have ever imagined.

My subscription has now run out.  Recently, I went to my 13-year collection and paged through a few issues, remembering the stories as I went.  Like anything a person collects, there comes a time when a decision must be made.  Asking myself the question;  Why am I hanging on to these magazines?  Answer: Don't know.

So 13 years, 96 issues, are awaiting anyone who might be interested in them.  There is no charge.  If you are interested, respond with your name and email or phone number on this blog in the "Comments" block which appears after each article.  

No comments:

Post a Comment